Is it possible to transfer the barless pattern from a blue barless pigeon to an ash-red or brown?

General discussion about pigeon genetics
Mueid

Is it possible to transfer the barless pattern from a blue barless pigeon to an ash-red or brown?

Post by Mueid »

Is it possible to transfer the barless pattern from a blue barless pigeon to an ash-red or brown pigeon and then getting an Ash red barless or brown barless?

My guess is that, i can get a female brown barless pigeon by pairing a blue barless & a brown bar first, then pairing their offspring together. I can also get a male brown barless pigeon by pairing this female with a brown bar male, which is carrying barless.
But getting an ash red barless pigeon from a blue barless seems impossible to me.
AdamArcher
Site Admin

Re: Is it possible to transfer the barless pattern from a blue barless pigeon to an ash-red or brown?

Post by AdamArcher »

Patterns can be transferred between base colours quite easy, they're not linked at all.

To create ash red barless pair a blue barless hen to an ash red cock, then pair the red young together.
Mueid

Re: Is it possible to transfer the barless pattern from a blue barless pigeon to an ash-red or brown?

Post by Mueid »

Thanks! I was just calculating in a monohybrid cross punnett square...but after rewatching your video on punnett squares and genetic notation and then calculation in a dihybrid cross punnett square, ashred barless seem possible to me. Thanks again!!! :)